Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Arenal Volcano and La Fortuna Waterfall

   After spending a week vacationing in New York to visit my beloved family I was finally ready to move into the complete unknown. The first stop was the thrilling Arenal. This place is known for its volcano that last erupted in 2010 and the gorgeous La Fortuna waterfall. I stayed at the Arenal Paraiso Hotel because it had 12 hot springs for me to enjoy. It was out of my backpacker budget but I just couldn't turn down the temptation of baths of different temperatures engulfed in nature. I certainly needed them after zip lining through the rain forests, hiking for hours to craters and blue waterfalls, and repelling down waterfalls.

   This is definitely a must stop for other adrenaline junkies like myself! There is enough to do to spend a few days in. Make sure to pack your hiking boots and get ready for some extreme trails that really take your breathe away. I would suggest packing a lunch and going up to both Rio Celeste and Cerro Chato, which are both great day trips.

   To rinse off try the Tabacon hot river. Yes, there is such a thing! It's a full flowing hot water river that is so far free to enjoy. It's just a few kilometres out of the city centre and it's the best kept local secret. To make it even more unforgettable pack some candles and enjoy after the sun set. 

 La Fortuna Waterfall

 Arenal Volcano

 Rio Celeste

Me at La Fortuna

8-12 OCT 13

1 comment: