Monday, November 11, 2013

Montezuma

   It was a pleasant surprise to find a companion to travel the rest of Costa Rica with. Yana and I were like two pees from one pod. We were both born in the USSR and could speak Russian as well as fluent English or broken Spanish. Both of us recently quit our office jobs in Canada to explore a new world. We met through the TEFL program and shared the same passion for nature, adventure, and so many other things.
   As the newly formed duo we tackled Rio Montezuma one branch at a time. This so called "trail" was full of tree navigating and river crossings that spiked our adrenaline instantly. The howler monkeys kept us motivated as we leapt forwards. I was mesmerized as soon as I saw the first waterfall. This iconic 24 meter drop carries tons of water and tumbles into a large pool that is deep enough to cliff jump into. I  was terrified when I saw a local Tico boy heroically climb the waterfall and take a pledge of faith, head first, into the pool.
   Our own crazy climb continued with the aid of sketchy ropes and long spiralling branches along the hike to waterfall number 3. This natural playground is perfect to get some Tarzan shots as you rope swing into the pool. There are also some great places to cliff jump around the top of the waterfall. The only way to get to the second pool is to jump 15 meters, which I watched a Tico man survive. I would still probably not recommend it.
   Montezuma itself had a laid back feel like most beach towns out there. Hammocks flock the idyllic coast lines and there are plenty of coconuts to keep you hydrated. The food choices are
few but they were all very good. My favourite place was Puggo's and there was even live music when we had dinner there. The Moussaka dish was awesome especially accompanied by the freshly baked Turkish bread baked by an Israeli woman. I love meeting people that inspire me!


The first waterfall
The "trail"
Overlooking into the second pool
Tarzan along with his rope swing
Montezuma central
Hammocks are plenty
The crab on the cliffs
Sunset
11-13 NOV 13

1 comment:

  1. I've had some of you ask where I stayed. I was at Hotel Los Mangos. It was clean and comfortable with a double room running us $12.50 per person. The bathrooms where shared and clean and the pool was great for the sun sets!

    ReplyDelete