Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Buenos Aires: My other home

   Buenos Aires has been a city I've wanted to live in for years. The 3 main reasons are tango, Spanish and meat. I've had dreams if me standing on my balcony looking out onto the city even though I've never been there (or any where else in South America till this trip). As my plane was landing in Buenos Aires I had tears in my eyes and I felt like I was coming home.

   Everything about this place was amazing. Tango was spilling out of every corner on to streets, theatres and bars. The metropolitan city was full of beating life and passionate culture flowed everywhere. I loved the European feel and the sweet BBQ smell that roamed about luring people into restaurants. In my 2 short days there I had 3 BBQ meals, a tango lesson and I was moved by the many tango shows I witnessed. The most amazing night was my tango lesson, followed by a delicious steak meal and of course a spectacular show at Sabor a Tango.

   Yes there will be somethings that I will need to get used to. Dinner hours here are after 10 pm and money is changed at the black market. The official rate is 6.5 pesos per dollar compared to the street rate of 9.5. As dodgy as it seems it is practiced everywhere even though it is technically illegal. The Spanish is also very different and the locals say they speak Argentinian instead of Spanish. As a result a lot of the phrases I knew only get me puzzled looks around here. Beyond the differences there is a beauty in this place that is so inviting I can't wait to return. I've decided to keep traveling but I will honour my soul and make this city my home. I'll be back for you Buenos Aires much sooner than later. That's a promise. But for now the backpack is packed and I'm heading South!


Tango is alive

The pink government house

City views

trying out the tango for myself
18-20 DEC 13

No comments:

Post a Comment