Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Spirit Of Ecuador

   Ecuador was a country I was nervous to travel in as a solo female and I'm happy to report that I shouldn't have spent my time worrying about it. Of course you have to be smart and feel out the atmosphere but so far I've only had great times! Looking down on the country as I flew in gave me instant goosebumps. Large volcano peaks pierced out of the clouds just in time to be glorified by the sun set. Excitement rushed through my system as the wheels of my plain hit the ground.
   On my first night in Quito I had desert for dinner. It was a misunderstanding but sometimes those are the best part! I had a hot rice pudding drink, which I thought was soup and puffs dipped in honey. As December is a month of celebrations in Ecuador there was plenty of things happening. I walked past a dance hall with locals holding hands and swaying back and forth with their partner. I decided to go in and upon the next song I was asked to dance by a young looking local. As we tapped our feet to the rhythm of the music our spectators started pulling out cameras and taking pictures of us. I guess it was just as interesting to them to see a white girl in the room as it was for me!
   When my body hit tiered I was ready to go next door to the Community Hostel. The beds here are so comfortable and the giant pillows are of a great quality too! Yes, this is what excites you as a backpacker. Along with it comes a great atmosphere with helpful staff and a chauffeur just in case you need to hire one.
   Ecuador was a part of my trip I hadn't planned at all so on day 2 I decided to head South towards Quilotoa. This is a large crater that the locals consider to be bottomless and I wanted to see it. After an overnight in Latacunga and a good rest in a private room at Hostel Tiana I was ready for a hike. However, I wasn't ready for the altitude to kick my butt from just 2 hours of exercise. You can hike around Quilotoa for a challenge that lasts for 5 hours or you can descend to the lagoon and back up which is what I did. As I struggled to climb my way up local girls in traditional outfits were running down with their donkeys. I guess you can get used to anything!
   It's no surprise that the local bus system can sometimes be unpredictable. To get to Quilotoa it took us nearly 3 hours because we didn't leave till all the seats on the bus were occupied. Then the driver picked up more people along the way with their sacks of grains, bundles of shrubs, and bags of guinea pig (around here that is a delicacy that is usually cooked on a BBQ and called cuy). At one point during the bus ride a lady with 6 bundles of straw was delivering her goods along the route to her local customers as everyone waited for her. No wonder it took twice as long to get there as it was to get back. It was worth it for the entertainment though so it all worked out. I've realized all travel plans are tentative anyway and you should never call anything confirmed until you are actually doing it!

flying into Quito

Quilotoa Lagoon

Girl running down to the lagoon

Valleys of Ecuador

view of a volcano 

No comments:

Post a Comment