Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Rio Carnival

   From when I was a little girl I wanted to go to the land of gliter, feathers, and shiny thongs. Well, life finally brought me there and at a very strange time too, right after my 3 week shaman course. The sequence wasn't planned and it was a shock to me but that is how some things go. 

   The best part was that my family was joining me. I met my big brother and my parents at the airport and we were off to explore the land of samba! I have to say this experience came with a huge price tag and the only way I would be able to experience this was with my parents' sponsorship so it might not be in everyone's budget. The apartment alone, right in the center of Copacabana, cost us $3500 for our 7 day minimum stay and the official carnival tickets another $500 each. The show was fantastic though. All night impressive floats glided down the Sambadrome parade full of elaborate costumes and great butt shakes. 

   For 5 days Rio was transformed into a massive party city. Major streets were shut down and turned into blockas, the block parties. There were over 4,000 activities in Rio so we had a pretty busy agenda. We navigated as best we could through the massive crowds, drinking trollies, makeout couples (or trios) and all the party buses providing never ending music and dancing. It was clear, Rio was on fire.

   It was also no surprize that the meat in Brazil was amazing! We went to a Brazilian all you can eat meat house and by the end all four of us broke out into a meat sweat. I couldn't get enough of the tender ribs, perfect steaks and all the buffet had to offer. I also discovered one of my favourite new cuts, the hump! Doing the samba was a bit tricky after but I somehow managed with the help of the local strong drink caipirinha. 

   In between it all we did manage to do some sight seeing like watching the stunning sunset from sugarloaf mountain and beside the iconic Jesus the Redeemer. Everyday we took a dip into the amazing ocean water to make the most of our visit. The best part though was having my family. I am so thankful to have them come all the way to South America just to see me and experiencing the carnival with them is just a blessing. Thanks guys I love you so much!

Sambadrome




Sugarloaf Mountain



Petropolis

Jesus the Redeemer

a big thank you goes out to my wonderful dad for all these wonderful pictures :)

28 FEB-5 MAR 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment