Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Colours, Coasts and Contrasts


   So Chile really started to grow on me. The shift took place when I started couchsurfing. It certainly is true that the people around you are huge influences of the experiences you have. To say my hosts have been generous would be an understatement. They opened up their homes, shared their meals, their stories, and even provided me with a place to stay. All of them were happy to show me around and took me to all the local hot spots. But most importantly, they brought my faith back for the couchsurfing system and reminded that there are great people everywhere.

   The country just keeps on surprising me. As soon as I got to Valparaiso I knew another shift had taken place. Everything around me was beaming with colours and describing it as graphite does not even begin to give it justice. There are paintings covering whole walls or sometimes entire buildings. Fairies, hearts, and creatures roam the streets bringing the city to life. Every hidden stairway or nook in the wall leaves you amazed with a new art piece. The place was truly enchanting and left my head dizzy with colours and hungry for more.

   My evening in Valparaiso took another unexpected turn. Without even knowing it I agreed to dine in a posh and elegant restaurant. Here I am strolling in in my genie pants and a backpack and seated at a white linen table with lots of cutlery. A similar experience a few months back would have been a treat but now I felt a bit out of place. The large bill was dwelling in my mind and the whole atmosphere was making me a bit uncomfortable. Thankfully the food and wine was delicious and the portions human sized. We were out of there straight after dinner in search of some live music which we found plenty of. I've always liked Spanish music and it was really cool to watch an open mic night at a low key local pub. It was a late night full of great entertainment and a taste of city life I nearly forgotten about.

   The next day I needed a place to relax and conveniently Valparaiso is positioned right next to chill Vina Del Mar and as the name suggestions it has a great beach. It's easy to spend hours walking along the coast trying all the hot empanadas, ice cream parlours, and milk shake vendors. Or, of course, you can find yourself a nice spot to settle down in, feel the heat of the sun, and cool off in the Pacific Ocean when the time feels right. Either way, I promise you'll enjoy yourself here!

Valparaiso:











Viña Del Mar



21-22 Jan 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment