Saturday, January 4, 2014

El Calafate and The AMAZING Glacier

   I started off my New Year with a car chase through the highways of Argentina. Unlike any other place in the country El Bolson, the tiny hippie town, has 2 bus terminals. I realized this 20 minutes after my departure time and of course I was at the wrong station. "Vamos!" Instructed the cab driver as I lugged my backpack back into the boot of the car. The next 30 minutes zoomed past as we swerved onto the opposite lane to pass all vehicles. I saw my life flash by a few times and honestly I was very satisfied. When we finally caught up with the bus the cabbie hailed him down by flashing the emergency lights and then stopping abruptly in front of him. Well, it wasn't the most conventional way of catching a 25 hour bus ride but it worked and it only cost me an extra $10 USD.

   The next day I finally got to El Calafate. This place was my most southern stop on my itinerary and I was more than satisfied because I got to see an amazing glacier! The Perito Moreno Glacier was very impressive and way bigger than I expected. It stretched out for over 30 km in length and 5 km in width and one of the few glaciers that is actually growing. The ice was multi coloured with white, deep blue and brown and spiked out in all different directions. Chunks snap off in thunderous thuds without any warning and the bigger pieces even create huge tidal waves. I felt like I was back in the ice age as I watched the natural wonder from the boat. Icicles floated by and sharp mountains with snow peaks created a winter wonderland all around us. I certainly dressed for the occasion with 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, 2 sweaters, a jacket, hat and scarf. By the end of our hike through the platforms I was down to 1 layer over my undergarments and still sweating.

   On the other days at El Calafate I enjoyed lagoon walks occupied by pink flamingos and other beautiful birds. The evenings were spent eating delicious meals accompanied by red wine. We made chorizo fried rice 2 nights in a row because it was so good just once wouldn't have been enough. For my last supper in Argentina we went for a traditional dish from the area which was served in a large black pan all juicy and sizzling inside. We ordered a mushroom, lamb and bacon dish and a beef, bacon and cheese combo. Both were overflowing with vegetables and sauce and served with fresh home baked bread. Of course to complement the dish we had great red wine from the region and lots of good conversation. Argentina has been such a treat but now I'm ready to spice things up with a bit of Chile!






1-4 JAN 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment