Sunday, May 18, 2014

Buenas Diaz Buenos Aires

   When everything collapses underneath your feet the only thing left to do is build a new platform. We have all experienced such times when nothing seems to work. Everything that I thought Buenos Aires would present to me never happened and for that I give thanks because new doors opened and I found myself in a place I couldn't have even imagined.

   I came to this city having all my plans set. When things started falling apart I was in a bit of a panic. The place I was supposed to live at became unavailable and then many backup plans failed. The city seemed to be in a continuous state of revolt with strikes, marches, or people that want to be heard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against all this and as a matter of fact I even partook in my very first march here. Buenos Aires can be very exhausting though as the city  doesn't only not sleep but it doesn't even stop to take a breath. 

   Buenos Aires has its on vibes. The new and the old, the passions with the tragedies and enough tears to spare all of Argentina. There are more one way streets there than I've ever seen before sending the city in all different directions. That is how I felt like the entire time and that's also what I loved most.

   The tango is what I originally came for and it was there. However, it was so much different then I imagined it for so many years which left me on a tight rope. The music was melancholy and everyone was older than me. It felt like an aging culture waiting for a new beginning. Then I found the drums and all of a sudden the spice shook everything up again. I danced to my hearts desires swinging my hips to the steps of my feet and all of a sudden Afro Tango was my new thing. All of it was magic, dancing in the park with sun sets and drum circles and then drumming myself to my voice. It all swept me off my feet in one brisk twirl and I was off. 

   It took me awhile to bid my farewell. In fact I tried many times unsuccessfully. Something just kept pulling me back to the city. I mean it's the only place that I revisited at all let alone 6 times. I don't even feel like I have said goodbye to it now and I'm seating in Mendoza many hours away heading the opposite direction. 

   Many things can only happen here like the Temazkal (similar to a sweat lodge) followed by an asado feast, the Argentinian serious version of a BBQ. From purification straight to indulgence Buenos Aires has it all. I left the city with a heavy backpack, a full stomach and a smiling heart. I am so thankful for all the memories, all the connections and all the love that I have found. It may have not worked out as I expected but in all honesty that's for the better. Gracias por todo Buenos Aires y hasta pronto!













2 April - 4 May 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment