Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Sacred Valley of Peru

   The Urubamba Valley, also called The Sacred Valley, is a majestic place in the Peruvian Andes. The Incas left a real mark on our world with amazing architecture, such as Machu Picchu, and their paths are followed by wonderers and seekers from all over the world to this day. Everything from the ancient plants draping over the giant trees, to every rock and living thing, all of it has a purpose and a connective energy with a greater power. Here, I felt one with nature and an ancient knowledge of a past empire.

   The experience started in Cusco with my brother, his girlfriend and two of our close friends celebrating their honeymoon. Our spirits were high and celebrations of our reunion began straight away and didn't stop till it was time for all of us to get on with our lives. When in Peru, you do as the locals do so we rented a beautiful apartment through AirBnB, drank plenty of pisco sours, ate 2 guinea pigs, and probably finished all the cold beers the valley had to offer. It felt really amazing to be with friends again for the first time in over 6 months and I didn't even realize how much I missed it till we were all together.

   Cusco was a perfect city for our reunion. It is full of stunning Spanish architecture and an artistic vibe that captivates your feet to keep exploring the pebbled streets. The altitude can be shocking to the system at first so I really do suggest staying here for at least a few nights before attempting any hikes in the area. There are also many places worth checking out just a short drive away like Pisac (a well known market town), the Moray (perhaps used as an agricultural test station compromising of ring terraces by the Incas), incredible pink salt mines, a llama sanctuary which is home to a half alpaca half llama mix breed and much much more. 

   As a group, we really wanted to experience the authentic side of Peru well off the beaten path and that is exactly what we got in the form of heavenly chocolate! The chocolate museum in Cusco linked us up with a farm tour that we just couldn't decline. The very next day we arrived at a local farm and spent the day picking fresh coffee beans, brewing the stuff ourselves and trying out any thing else that is growing and in season. It was really amazing to see food travel from the garden to the kitchen and into our stomachs with delicious tastes begging you for seconds. The next day we visited the neighbouring farm and learned about making chocolate from the cultivation to the exquisite final product that is finger licking good. The home stay family was so welcoming and kind it really felt like we were visiting old friends.

   With giant chocolate bars in our bags we were ready for some exercise so we hiked the back road to Aguas Calientes along the railroad tracks. This walk was absolutely breathtaking and a great alternative to the 4 day Inca trail. The hike is not only free but also it's just a few hours with amazing scenery and a great behind the scenes view of Machu Picchu. Of course the old city blew me away the next day. Our group was the first to arrive at Machu Picchu's sun gate for sunrise out of the lazy bus tourists, which was an accomplishment at 5 o'clock in the morning! As the clouds began to clear and the unveiling of the mountains, the river and the city started to unfold I was in a sacred moment of my own with birds chirping to my songs and welcoming the sun with our dance. For the rest of the afternoon we galloped through the old city pondering over another way of life and appreciating all the dedication that went into the construction of such a wonder.

   Of course saying goodbye to all of this and my friends was so very difficult. I felt alone again in this big world and all I wanted was something familiar. I believe that all things happen for good reasons and just when I was down life picked me up again. I found myself again in Ollantaytambo led to a Temazkal (like a sweat lodge) surrounded by people sharing the same vision. A vision to make the world a better place by spreading love and kindness to all things. During the ceremony my voice came alive with pure expression. To know my energy was appreciated was even more amazing as one of the participants gifted me with beautiful threads and artifacts intertwined into a piece of my hair that will stay with me till it grows out. This gesture made me realize that the greatest gifts of all are not exchanged for money. Instead, they are gestures of kindness and love that touch our hearts and impact our lives. I wear a ring with a heart shaped stone on my left hand that reminds me to do everything with love. I hope you find inspiration to do the same.


Cusco

Mamita at work at the Llama Sanctuary


The group at the Moray

Salt Mines of The Sacred Valley

What a unique souvenir...

Llama love at Machu Picchu

Inside Machu Picchu

The beauty of Olla

My hair piece :)



23 MAR - 2 APR 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment